[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Homepage for Piper Unified School District #203

This web page is located on the History site of the by Kansas City, KS Public Schools (USD 500) and not maintained by Piper District Schools.  For questions relative to current Piper schools, district, and/or history, please click on the link above to secure access to their official web site where you will find names, addresses and phone numbers for contact.  Thank you.

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, 1883, Published by Andreas, Chicago, Illinois - "There are several neat little stations and hamlets scattered throughout the county, the largest being Edwardsville, located about fourteen miles west of Wyandotte, on the Union Pacific Railroad. It was named for Hon. John H. Edwards, then General Passenger and Ticket Agent of the road, since then a State Senator from Ellis County, Kan. The land where this rural village now stands was once the farm of Half-Moon, a Chief of some degree among the Delawares. He sold the land to Gen. T. Smith, of Leavenworth, and others, who in turn sold it to William Kouns. A post office was established here in 1867. The Methodist Episcopal Church effected an organization here in 1868, and had quite a large membership. In 1868, through the personal influence and direct labors of William Kouns, the County Commissioners, created the town of Delaware, in which Edwardsville is located. It was platted in 1869, the proprietor being Mr. William Kouns. Some time in 1870, the Christian Church was organized here, and now numbers sixty members. There is only one church organization in the town now, the Methodist Episcopal Church having disbanded because of the removal to the adjacent cities of so many of its members. Composit Lodge, No. 152, A., F. & A. M., was organized here in 1872, but in 1877 surrendered its charter. The station now consists of thirty or forty dwellings, a number of business houses, a good depot and fine school."

The picture is of the first Piper Grade School in 1903

Piper Grade School

Front Row (left to right):  Charles Waldron, Lola Dorman, May McDowell, Abbie Newton, Mary Luther, Lena Scott, Alice Luther, Sam Luther, Tony May, Fred Caldwell, Bob Newton, Dick Cunningham, ? Waldwon

Second Row (left to right):  Courtner Brown, Myrtle McCrary, Claude Seat (Scot?), Florence Scott, Asa Ellis, Willis Waldron, Will Luther

Third Row (left to right):  Ray Swann (Teacher), Jessie Brown, Pim Perry, Harvey Green, Elmer Scott, Walter Waldron, Ed Luther, Floyd Ellis

 

 

Piper Elementary School - 2004

 

Piper Elementary School
Picture taken 2004

 

 

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage