Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer
One of the 9 original schools when Wyandott City, Kansas City and Armourdale were separate cities; consolidated on March 6, 1886 within the Consolidation Act of 1886.
Other Names: Downtown School; renamed Grant in 1923
Built: 1881; eight-room brick building
Closed: 1923 as Everett; renamed Grant
"In 1881 the city of Wyandott voted $15,000 to build two new ward school houses. One was the Everett School on Everett Street between 4th and 5th Streets. It was an eight-room brick building with a seating capacity of 433. It was heated by steam.
After 42 years, Everett School was closed as a school for whites in 1923. The school was reopened as the Grant School for black children. The school was named for Bishop Abraham Grant of the A.M.E. Church.
New Grant School: In 1951 the school board authorized the purchase of land for a new Grant Elementary School on 4th Street between Oakland and Freeman Avenues. For this school and other expansion and building projects, a $6.5 million school bond was approved in the election of October 1958. The general contract for the new Grant Elementary School was awarded Nov. 16, 1954 to the Bellanti and Welsh Construction Company. Raymond E. Meyn and Associates was the architect. The building, a two-story L-shaped, brick and concrete, split level structure, with 15 class rooms, an all-purpose room, health suite, teachers lounge and library, is located at 4th and Freeman. The building extends 135 feet along 4th Street (main entrance) and 284 feet along Freeman. During construction, the students used the old building. The new building at 1510 N. 4th was ready for use February 1956. The cost was approximately $481,000.
Old Building Razed: In February 1960, nearly 80 years after it was built as the Everett School, the old grant school was razed in the Gateway Urban Renewal Project." (The Kansan, March 16, 1986, p. 6B)
1881 - Board of Education voted $15,000 for two ward schools. Everett was one.
June 11: On north side of Everett Avenue between 4th and 5th Streets. Mary P. Sheldon and others deeded to Board of Education Lots 49 and 50, Block 72, Wyandotte.
June 18: Same property deeded to Board of Education by Amos Poole and wife.
July 5: Lots 47 and 48, Block 72, deeded by A. D. Downs and wife.
September 10: Lots 45 and 46, Block 72, deeded by Mary H. Shelby and others. Property 150 by 150 feet.
J. F. Meyer, contractor: two-story, eight-room, brick, steam heat. Lack of money delay completion.
1882 - Sum of additional $15,000 voted to complete two buildings.
William E. Connelly, Kansas historian, taught at Everett School. And was Principal in 1883. (Bonner Springs Chieftan, 17 Apr 1919)
1886 - Became part of consolidated city. One of nine original schools.
1888 - Pupils from Edgerton Place at Everett. Also had some from London Heights.
Nov 1894 - Diphtheria cases in city - Everett School considered for closing. The spread of scarlet fever and diphtheria alarmed everyone. Dr. Cornell, county physician, ordered isolation for five weeks for children with infectious diseases. A Dr. Swartz wrote about sanitary remedies for schools. McAlpine and Everett Schools closed because of diphtheria and some deaths occurred in the vicinity of Everett.
1897 - June 28: Contract to Charles J. Jones for three-room addition. Had been renting Fleishman Building at 5th and Oakland.
1908 - New two rooms.
1909 - July 2: Bought property east of school.
1911-20 - Enrollment dropping
1921 - Scouting in the United States celebrated its eleventh birthday, but only Everett in this city had a troop.
1923 - April 23: Everett School became a school for African American students. Name changed to Grant in honor of Bishop Abram Grant.
1883 - William E. Connelly, noted Kansas historian (Teacher and Principal - Bonner Springs Chieftan, 17 Apr 1919) / 1884 - Birdgie Cushing / 1888-90 - George E. Rose / 1890 - R. E. Morris, George R. Rose or Frank Calvin / 1891 - J. J. Maxwell, resigned December 28; Frank Calvin / 1892 - Frank Calvin, resigned January 1893; J. L. Howard / 1893-99 - J. L. Howard / 1900-03 - W. J. Pearson / 1903-07 - E. H. Jackson / 1907-08 - Maude Pinkham / 1809-09 - Evelyn Martin / 1809-16 - May Cusic / 1916-22 - Myrtle Evans / 1923 - Closed as Everett. Renamed Grant.
We want to say thank you to Kathleen (Kathy) Klamm Clabough, who contributed the picture of the Class of 1900 in the Everett Picture Gallery. " My great aunt, Julia Mae Mack, is standing in the second row from the front, far left. This is Everett School about 1900."
History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014