[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1911

1912

The board decided early in 1912 against the closing of schools on Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays.  Armourdale patrons appeared asking that the name of the school on Fifth Street be changed to John J. Ingalls.  A petition from 68 John Fiske parents asked that the plan used at the school for student government be abolished.  "Playground uplifters" was the name applied by these petitioners to designate the program.

The Council of Clubs thought the adoption of uniform costumes for graduation would be advisable, but the board took no action on the suggestion.  A committee wanted to confer with the superintendent about establishing a short or intermediate course for the high school.  The high school cafeteria was completed during the summer, and seven study periods were planned for the students.  A domestic science course was established at Argentine High School.  What possibly may have been the first upgraded room in the city was organized in September, 1912, at Morse by Albert Evans. 

Supervising principals were asked to appear before the board to discuss the sale of certain articles in the schools.  They also were to be required to alternate in schools by subjects.  Other requirements were changed in November.  Trial certificates were issued to teachers without examination if their records were high enough, and if they were graduates of the high school.

School organization consisted of elementary, secondary and vocational divisions.  Under vocational services were night and afternoon schools, lecture courses, civic center work, school-patron groups, and continuation courses.  Only two grades of certificates, first and second, were honored, and no more married women were employed.  Phillips in Armourdale and Garrison in Armstrong were combined into one school.  Children attended Garrison.

In February, Miss Blanche Williams, drawing supervisor, asked for a leave of absence.  Miss Laura Fitch filled her place temporarily.  The Stanley building at 38th and Metropolitan burned on September 5, 1912, the cause of the fire unknown.  Portable buildings were used by the smaller children.  Older pupils attended a small one-room school at 37th and Powell or Emerson and Franklin.   Hawthorne was damaged by fire also.  The contents in one of the new upstairs rooms burned.  The floor gave way and everything fell into the room below.

A second Parker portable was located at 33rd and Cleveland on the northwest corner.  Leona Averill was the teacher.  For a while during 1912-1913, Queen's Garden [45th to 47th & Parallel] patrons wanted the school there.  When the board decided to move the school, Parker people objected.  Miss Mamie Winfrey then taught at Parker in the mornings and at Queen's Garden in the afternoons.  After a few weeks Miss Williams taught all day at Parker with Miss Winfrey's help in the afternoons.  Miss Averill continued at her building and Miss Winfrey assisted in the morning.  A new site for Parker was purchased in 1912.

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage