[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1913

1914

In the late summer of 1914, England was at war and the impact was felt in Kansas City in the fall.  By November, Americans were praying for peace in Europe and offering to send blankets to the British.  The song of marching troops, "It's a Long Way to Tipperary," had become popular here.  Papers carried the news that Cristobel Pankhurst, famous English suffragette, had announced she would put aside the "cause" during the war.  She returned from France to her own country after years of prosecution by the government.

Young people took up the fox trot, termed "silly" by their elders, but destined to remain popular for years.  Kansas City abandoned the old Union Depot in the Bottoms and built a fine new one on higher ground, safe from floods, to be occupied November 1.  The Central Avenue Viaduct was rebuilt and the Metropolitan Street Railway Company went into the hands of receivers.

Kansas City women, their voting powers increased, turned out with their husbands at 8:00 a.m. to hear Secretary of State, William Jennings Bryan, speak in Huron Park on October 20.  The next day, October 21, a group heard Jane Addams, famous Hull House social worker, address an audience at Grand Avenue Temple in Missouri.  Henry Allen and William Allen White spoke at a meeting of the Progressive Party at Rainbow Hall, 5th and Armstrong, on October 22.

Educators talked of a New York school where children learned arithmetic by playing store and buying and selling goods.  The demand for kindergartens increased and china painting became a subject in the night school.  Dr. Jessie Newkirk, board member, was sent by the board to Washington to attend the National Congress of Mothers and the PTA, April 20-27.

Local dentists offered services free for school dental clinics in a room at Central School, and a half holiday, to be known as "Clean-up Day," was announced for April 17.  The superintendent told the board of an innovation, supervised study in the high school.  Classes would be lengthened to 65 minutes each for six periods.  He also recommended once a year promotions.  Colored patrons at Fifth and Miami asked for the donation of old texts to be used in a private school maintained there by them.

In January the Educational Committee of the Mercantile Club discussed with the board the matter of improved housing for pupils.  The board resolved the following April that elementary facilities were wholly inadequate.  Four ward buildings and additions at Whittier, Stowe, and Quindaro were needed.  A new site would have to be procured near 18th and Minnesota.  Bonds to the amount of $137,000 were needed.

[Annotation:  The Mercantile Club became the KCKs Chamber of Commerce in 1918.]

Work was begun on a new Frances Willard School in May, 1914, and an addition of six rooms made to Franklin.  Old Eugene Ware, the one-room school at 3138 N 12th, was taught by Miss Grace Hynes.  She continued there until 1917 when the school was abandoned and she was transferred to Bryant.

Next Section   1915

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage