[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1923

1924

Boys from two high school football teams had been awarded sweaters for the 1923 season. The school officials were indignant at an order from the Kansas State Board of Control that the sweaters be turned in to the principals. It seemed an unjust request. The sweaters were placed in storage for the summer and the board wrote to the Board of Control in July about the matter. Argentine sweaters were then returned to Dr. Clopper, Rosedale 's to Mr. Clyde Leavengood.

Mr. Pearson said he would see what he could do about the sweater proposition. In October the order came to give the sweaters to Principals Kruger and Schlagle, who would return them to the donors.

A Mr. Damon of the high school enlivened board proceedings when he was accused of kissing a high school girl. He, in turn, brought charges in March against C. T. Rice, principal. When the participants in the quarrel were due for a hearing before the board, Mr. Damon could not be found. The board decided his accusation was not sustained.

Changes in school personnel were made. M. E. Pearson found that without assistance his office was getting burdensome. The board, on his recommendation, elected F. L. Schlagle, Argentine principal, assistant superintendent. J. F. Wellemeyer, seven years principal of a high school at Quincy, Illinois, succeeded Mr. Rice at the high school, unofficially designated now as Central. Former Cottey College president, J. C. Harmon, came from Nevada, Missouri, to be principal at Argentine. Lewis Brotherson was named Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds to succeed Lawrence L. Brown. Sherman D. Scruggs from Stowe was elected supervisor of the colored schools.

The new Major Hudson School opened on May 5, 1924, with the old Melville building, a block east, to be used for Mexican children. The Mexican school at the "horseshoe" viaduct was named Clara Barton, and Miriam Cheney appointed the first teacher. Territory adjacent to the Seventh Ward, Argentine, was annexed to the school system in October.

The library extended services to the northwest part of the city when a branch library was established at the London Heights Methodist Church. When the Croation Society wanted the high school auditorium to give a play, the permit carried with it the stipulation that it be put on in English. High school students took part in Defense Day activities during a half holiday on September 12. Church school was held once a week at the various churches.

The board granted principals the right to call a doctor, if necessary, to decide if a child belonged at school. It ordered in October a thousand copies of a book entitled The Bath for distribution to the schools. Outside organizations, seeking the use of swimming pools and gymnasiums, caused the board to make rules for the use of school facilities. Surplus copies of old board reports stored in the basement of the library building were sold. A new Junior Red Cross plan was organized in December.

Next Section  1925

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage