[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

1924

1925

The Budget Committee of the Chamber of Commerce made a survey in August, 1925, of school expenses. Taxes were too high, and the committee might discover ways of lowering the school levy. By cutting out some services, six cents on the hundred dollar valuation could be saved. Kindergartens, established over the years at the public's insistence, were declared an unnecessary expense. Junior College, approved by a large majority vote of citizens, should be abolished or supported by the state. Retrenchment on night school, where classes already had been cut, should be made.

In spite of lower tax pleas, additions were needed at Quindaro, Douglass Annex, and Maccochaque. The Central School site at Eighth and Barnett had to be filled before the new school could be erected. Plans for a new Rosedale High School were approved in late summer of 1925. The board leased the old Chelsea School building on the west side of 25th Street north of Wood to the Chelsea Christian Church for five years.

Because no college credit had been given, fewer girls had enrolled in the Teachers' Training department during the years following World War I. The course was lengthened in the 1925-26 term to three years. College credit was given and a state certificate issued to graduates. The first year was spent in Junior College, the second at Horace Mann School, and the third in practice teaching. Because of the reduction in the number of substitutes, former teachers were filling the places of absent regular teachers at salaries of $6.00 a day for high school and $5.00 in the grades.

Grade school principals, with added supervisory work to do, were given relief from teaching duties for a short time each week by principals' assistants. Four additional assistants were appointed in the summer of 1925. Three board members began a four-year term in August and three started a two-year term.

The Kansas State Teachers Association met in the city on November 5-7. The board expressed thanks to M. E. Pearson and F. L. Schlagle for their management of the details of the convention. Other school people who aided the superintendent and his assistant were recognized. It was hoped the sectional meeting would meet again in Kansas City in 1927.

The school on Bradish Road became known in September as Eugene Ware. The first school named for the poet had been a one-room building on North 12 th Street neat the Waterworks. Booklets about Kansas City and Wyandotte County history were ordered printed so that teachers and children could use information compiled by Kate Cowick in their class work. The Kansan furnished the plates, as the story had first appeared in a series of articles in the newspaper.

In spite of the Chamber's recommending a curtailing of night school expenses, sixty teachers were employed. Mr. Morgan made his round of packing houses and factories, urging he men to become citizens. When he asked for a room at John J. Ingalls for three nights a week to instruct foreigners, the request was first granted, then permission withdrawn the following January.

Next Section1926

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage