[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1926

1927

The Kansas City, Kansas Teachers Training School came to an end in June, 1927, at least under the name it had borne for a long time. Rules were formulated for the organization and control of a school to be known as Teachers College. On the faculty were M. E. Pearson, F. L. Schlagle, Russell L. Wise, Bessie Miller, Emily Hall, Lillian Bohl, and Lucy McCoy, director.

The Department of Education in Junior College was designated as identical to the function of Teachers College, which trained teachers for service in the elementary schools and added to the advancement of teachers already in service. The state university and teachers colleges cooperated by forming extension classes. Requirements in the new school remained the same as in the old - two years of college work and one year of cadeting and substituting.

Requirements:

First year:

  • Graduation from a Kansas City, Kansas high school
  • Residence in Kansas City, Kansas
  • Sound health and no physical defects
  • Above average scholarship for the last three years of high school
  • Approval of the principal of the high school from which graduated.

Second and third years:

  • No grade below C for the first year.

The teaching force in the city was recruited from two sources, graduates of Teachers College and experienced teachers. The latter, before being employed in the city, had to have three years of successful teaching in regular systems of graded schools of not less than six teachers. A Kansas State certificate was required, with sixty hours that included nine in education. New teachers with two, three, or four years of college work had to take some specific training. Cadet and substitute work were required even of graduates.

The superintendent and a board member went to Lawrence in February to meet with others interested in aid for the junior college. The board's attorney was asked to rule on requirements for the Teachers College. Teachers facing retirement within the next five years were concerned with retirement laws. The legal department of the Teachers Council worked on the matter.

Central Junior was growing and would soon have to have additional space. Old Rosedale High School was torn down to make way for the new. McKinley's addition was under construction. A golf course belonging to the Westheight Golf Club at 25th an Minnesota was offered for sale by J. A. Hoel as a high school site. The board took an option on it in July with the payment of $5,000.

Beginning in September, Lewis and Lincoln Schools were housed in the Lincoln building at 24th and Strong under the name Lincoln. The Lewis School at Highland and Dudley was sold. The Chelsea auditorium was to be completed in 1928.

High school students were encouraged to break the law, the board thought, when older students and patrons urged them to join secret societies. Certain indiscretions by members had aroused the public. The law against such groups was to be strictly enforced. Citizens now in sympathy with the law were told bluntly by the board to go to the legislature and petition that it be rescinded.

Next Section1928

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage