[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1927

1928

A step forward in the advancement of teacher welfare was made when in June of 1928 a system of Teachers Group Insurance was established. This was a life insurance plan. Health, accident and salary protection insurance were still in the future, but this was the beginning of what was to develop into a plan covering all kinds of illness and salary recompense for lost time. The firm insuring the group was the American National Insurance Company of Galveston, Texas.

Insurance was purchased for the old Westheight Club House on the new high school site. The name "Central," possibly because a Kansa City, Missouri, school bore the same name, never appealed to students or patrons of the high school. On January 3, 1928, a name distinctive of the city and its history was chosen. The board ordered that all records from that date carry the name Wyandotte. It was a happy choice, for the school has carried the name through the years in two different buildings and locations.

The new year 1928 found the board with a shortage of cash, and all department heads were told to revise budgets and make a 10% reduction. Night school tuition was raised to $2.00 a month. Lloyd E. Hoke bought the Lewis building. Rosedale wanted kindergarten facilities for that section. The board promised that as soon as it made an extension of kindergartens, Rosedale district would be the first to receive them. Frances Willard needed housing facilities in the near future.

Bessie Miller, Emily Hall, and Sherman Scruggs constituted the supervisory force in 1928 if the records are correct. On May 7, Miss Edith Hopkins was appointed primary supervisor and Selma Wall, art director. Miss Wall resigned the following September and Miss Ethel Luce was elected in her place. Mr. J. F. Wellemeyer served as high school principal and dean of the Junior College.

Traffic near schools was becoming a matter of concern. The question came before the board of organizing a Student Patrol at Horace Mann School. The idea of having an Opportunity Room at Riverview was suggested since the room at Horace Mann had proved helpful.

Next Section1929

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage