[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1929

1930

When Superintendent Pearson reported to the board in 1930, he referred to the report of 1909 when he had been superintendent for seven years. At that time, he listed the needs of the school system, saying they could not be obtained at once, possibly not in ten years. Now, over 20 years later, many goals had been realized.

In 1909 these aims were set up as desirable for the school system:

The board formulated new rules for all school departments, including the operations of the board. If a school had three or more teachers, one had to be designated as principal. The superintendent was ordered to visit every school in person. There was a complete revision of rules which covered several pages with detailed instructions for everyone. Full approval was given by the board in February to the "pay-as-you-go" system to finance buildings and additions.

The Kansa State Garden Society was offered any vacant school property for the planting of shrubs and flowers. The board extended an invitation to the Kansas City, Missouri, Board of Education and to Mr. Conrad Mann, Chamber of Commerce president in Missouri, to meet with them on May 19. A new form of application blank was issued to employees desiring reappointment. Applicants must agree to:

These rules grew out of an appeal by a union, Stationary Engineers, Local 651, for wage increases, vacations, and other benefits for board employees. The board answered the union, saying that it had been the policy to deal directly with employees, not through organizations.

Board members received upon their request a report on the operation of high school cafeterias. Mr. Pearson announced that no cafeteria classes would be held in 1930-31, that help would be hired and paid from cafeteria funds. No help would be needed from the girls except for serving. Only Wyandotte was not included in the report.

Three schools were offered kindergarten facilities with the understanding that 25 children of kindergarten age must enroll and keep an average attendance of 15, otherwise the class would be discontinued. The board accepted, for a fee, several children from Fairfax District Number 46. Lack of room prevented the acceptance of additional students at Wyandotte and Junior College.

Committees worked on plans for a new Wyandotte High School and an athletic field for Sumner. When Mr. Pearson and Mr. Schlagle attended the national convention in Columbus, they asked permission to visit nearby cities to look for teacher material. On Miss Lucy McCoy's retirement because of ill health, Miss Sadie Glucklich was appointed director of Teachers College. Seven centers were set up where a critic teacher could supervise two girls during their practice teaching. The schools and teachers were:

In December of 1930 Kansa City University asked for teaching experience for eight of their senior girls.

The high school moved its music classes to the Jayhawk Hall across the street from the school. Penmanship and spelling were dropped as special subjects. Sophomores needed a course in vocational and educational guidance to alternate with gym as a required course. The PTA offered to install flood lights at the new stadium. They would conform to specifications but cause no expense to the board.

Visiting librarians attended the fifth annual commencement of the Vacation Reading Club. The librarian explained the library apprentice courses for high school students and reported over 500 books in the Teachers' Technical Library. The collection of Kansas books had started.

A kindergarten and five classrooms were added to Mark Twain and the early rooms remodeled into a front hall, office and restroom. Riverview lost thirteen feet from the front grounds when Seventh Street was widened. The Public Utility Board offered a 50% reduction for water and electricity, provided the board reduced its tax rate. The offer was accepted.

The term of 1930-31 had scarcely begun when all activity halted. An epidemic of polio during the summer became intensified when children gathered in hot rooms in the fall. At a special meeting of the board and the City Health Department on September 27, all schools were ordered closed for two weeks. Dr. S. D. Henry, Director of Health, forbade children under 15 to appear in public places. Teachers were not to leave the city, but would visit the parents of each child. Night school and junior college were not affected.

Next Section1931

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage