[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1930

1931

Pressure was brought on the board to reduce expenses. The expense of operating a night school was examined. The board ruled that teachers employed for night school be passed on by the board. Mr. Pearson was asked to prepare a report in March which listed costs both in the regular night classes and those operating under the Smith-Hughes Act. No night school classes in the 1931-32 school term would be maintained unless 15 enrolled and kept an average attendance of 10.

Small schools, while serving sparsely-settled communities, were expensive to operate. The board planned to send Edison children to Franklin and Carlisle's to Stanley. Carlisle, at Carlisle Road and Kansas Avenue, was in annexed territory. Phillips, employing two teachers, could send Armourdale colored children to Garrison on the hill in Armstrong. Vernon, near Quindaro School, paid tuition to send its children to Douglass.

Four cadet centers for Kansas City University girls were set up in January. They were:

Boards of education in cities of the first class and of 120,000 population were authorized in February, 1931, to set up rules and regulations for a system of free inspection for physical defects and ailments. The board instructed the superintendent to require a health certificate of any teacher when needed. A committee was appointed to do something about the traffic congestion at the library in Huron Park. The plan was to mark off and initial spaces for personnel regularly at the library and to bar everyone else, including principals and teachers.

Teachers were commended for generosity in their Community Chest pledges. Spelling and oratorical contests had to be barred because of time lost in September during the polio epidemic. The board returned over $500 to the Teachers' Library Committee to handle the money collected for books. Miss Ferne Vesecki, high school senior, who wrote the history of Wyandotte High School and presented it to the school system, was given a vote of thanks. This interesting story is in the Board of Education Office at the present time.

On April 23, former graduates of old Melville School held a homecoming at the school. About 200 attended. Tenth graders living west of 10th Street and south of the Union Pacific tracks attended Argentine High School in September instead of Wyandotte. The site for the colored athletic field was selected at a location between 7th and 8th Streets from Freeman to New Jersey.

W. R. Honnell, board member, visited a new school in Salt Lake City and gave a complete report to the board at the August meeting. It displeased members to learn in December that board employees were buying for their individual needs through wholesale concerns rather than form retail stores.

Next Section   1932

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage