[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

KCKS Public School System, 1819-1961
by Nellie McGuinn
Copyright USD 500, Feb 1966

Return to Previous Section 1956

1957

Great Britain announced on May 15 that it possessed the H-bomb.  The news of the firing of the first United States Intercontinental Ballistic Missile on December 17 had already been overshadowed by Russia's Sputnik I, circling the earth since October 4.  The superintendent scarcely needed to warn teachers that the world was changing and that old philosophies of education must be discarded.

On January 18 the new gymnasium at Rosedale was dedicated in a brief ceremony conducted by Frank Rushton, president of the board.  It was used for a game the first time that evening.  The new Snow School on a 6.86 acre site at 2605 West 43 Street began its first session on January 2.  The one-story, nine-room brick building was dedicated on February 5, 1957.  The new Bryant School of 13 rooms at 2940 North 17th Street was ready for the transfer from the old building across the street (2930 N. 17th) on February 22nd.  G. W. Corporon, principal of Northwest Junior, was the speaker on March 27th when the school was dedicated.  The old building was razed when classes moved out.

The expanding Medical Center in Rosedale wanted the Maccochaque building for housing some departments.  On April 3, Governor Docking signed the bill permitting the state to buy the site and building.  This was the fourth to have been erected on the site.  Others were built in 1876 and 1911.  The last was in 1923.  Architects Wilson and Earnheart planned an expansion for Snow School, as Maccochaque and Show would be united under a new name (Frank Rushton).  It was hoped the addition to the south of the present building would be ready by the fall of 1958.

An auditorium, music rooms and library at Central Junior were occupied when school opened in September.  After thirteen months of being under construction, the opening of a new addition and remodeled older rooms was celebrated at Mark Twain School on October 30.  This was the second addition to the school since it was built in 1923.  Programs for the Open House program carried a short history of the school written by Miss Mary Creekbaum, a teacher there since 1924.

After two years of classes on double sessions, Rosedale moved into the new building in the fall of 1957.  The new academic section was on two levels and housed music rooms, journalism, shop and mechanical drawing departments.  Besides seven rooms for academic subjects, there were two lounges, art, metal and nurse's rooms.  At the dedication on November 20, Dr. John E. King, president of the Teachers College at Emporia, was the main speaker.  The building was designed by Joseph Radotinsky and built by Bennett Construction Company.

Two valued members of the board of education died.  Dr. K. C. Haas, part of the board since 1940, died on March 13.  He was followed in death on April 14 by Frank Rushton, member since 1923 and president for 27 consecutive years.

Libraries were established at Dunbar, Edison, Snow, Bryant, Frances Willard, Morse, and Grant.  The mathematics program was stepped up in the high schools.  Absences from Asian flu established a record of 16.1% on October 21.  The junior high schools sent their graduates to the senior high schools without the usual commencement exercises in the spring.  At the convocation in September, 189 new teachers were introduced.

The board asked for legislation concerning annexation problems.  To prevent division of districts it was urged that whenever the city annexed new territory, such property might or might not become part of the school system.  If it did not, the entire district could vote at any time to join the city schools.  The board would have two years to decide to accept the district if it so desired.

Next Section   1958

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage