[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Old Wyandotte County Districts

"In 1858, the Territorial Legislature created the office of county superintendent , and gave that official the authority to certify teachers. One year later he was assigned the task of organizing school districts in the territory. The Wyandotte Constitution, under which Kansas became a state, followed the pattern set by the Territorial Legislature, and reinstituted the office of county superintendent, which served for one hundred years as a foundation stone in the state's educational structure. He was authorized to continue organizing school districts by dividing the county into a convenient number of such units. With convenience as the only stated criterion to guide county superintendents, schools were established within walking distance of most pupils. The general practice was to build schoolhouses at two-mile intervals, each within a district governed by a three-man board."  (Kansas Education Progress, 1857-1967, Adele Throckmorton, Published by the State Department of Public Instruction, 120 East Tenth, Topeka, Kansas 66612, Copyright June, 1967)

There is a question about how the districts were numbered.  In an issue of the Wyandotte Commercial Gazette (October 1869), there is an item on the numbering of the school districts.  It reads:  "Junction School became District 16 when E. F. Heisler numbered the districts while County superintendent"  Thanks to Mrs. Betty Gibson for this information.

The Kansas City Gazette newspaper, in their August 30, 1890 issue, showed districts 1-42 in existence.  Additional information is taken from the report on the "History and Growth of Wyandotte County Educational System," 19 Sept 1963, Lewis D. Wiard, County Supterintendent of School Offices.  Also - names for districts 26, 30 and 31 provided by Mr. Larry Berg and Mrs. Connie Hadley of the Bonner Springs/Edwardsville Public Schools.

Article from the Wyandott Herald, 17 July 1873:  "SCHOOL OFFICERS-The Superintendent of public instruction has furnished us a list of the officers of the different school districts in this county, which we publish for the benefit of the public."

Page Divider Bar

It appears that the early school districts were possibly numbered as they were submitted for organization or as the County Superintendent handled them, not according to the year they were originally built/organized.

1 - Wyandott City - before 1860  (Commercial Gazette, 10 Nov 1860:  Lists votes in Wyandotte County - Terrritorial School Supt were:  J. C. Douglass, Rep. with a total of 261 votes from Wyandott, and J. S. Magil, Dem. with a total of 195 votes from Quindaro.) 

At this time, the only public school we are aware of in 1860 or 1861 is the school building at 6th & State, called 6th Street School (later renamed Lincoln School). 

In 1868, came Central Public School in Huron Square, and Everett in 1881.  Central was followed by Everett School in 1881 and later Barnett School. (See 1889 Sanborn Insurance Map)

(Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Ralph Van Brunt, President; John D. Cruise Treasurer; Wm. Albright, Clerk; Joseph Speck, E. Moyel, W. B. Garlick, G. W. Bishop, C. Hoppen and V. J. Lane, members of the Board.)

2 - Kerr (also included Eugene Ware)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - C. H. Spencer, director; Mark Cassidy, Clerk and Theodore Braunn, Treasurer)

3 - Kansas City, Kansas (Wood/Cooper, Bruce - Bottoms or French Bottoms) (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - John Casto, Peter Wilson, and E. A. Eidenmiller)

4 - Quindaro (white school) (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Cyrus Taylor, Henry H. Reynolds, and W. J. Huffaker)

5 - Lindbergh, Wilson High School  (district was originally "old Muncie") (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Old Muncie District - John Ragan, A. D. Robbs and John Collins)

6 - Vance  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Wm. Taylor, Thomas J. Barker and Hiram Malott)

7 - Cobb/Stewart   (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Russell Garrett, A. B. Hovey and George Froebe)  Later included Bryant; Eugene Ware/Waterworks, Abbott/London Heights/Third Ward; Walker/Stowe; Long/Longfellow/Dunbar South; Dunbar/Dunbar North

8 - Farmer (Turner Proper)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Stephen Perkins, A. Key and Chas. Lovelace)

9 - Armstrong  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Thos. VickRoy, Chas. B. Derr and August Reaka)  Later included Oakland; Chance/Armourdale/J J Ingalls; Armstrong/Garrison; Riverview; McAlpine, Phillips

10 - Welborn (Six Mile)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Lyman Comstock, Thos. Crooks and Elphonzo Holly)

11 - Connor (aka Wolcott)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Herman Schlagel, E. R. Blackman and A. B. Russell)

12 - Wallula  (known as District 36 in Leavenworth County - shared between Leavenworth and Wyandotte Counties)  (organized in 1869 as one-room school until 1957 with 8-month term; annexed to Dist 22 on Apr 9, 1959)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - D. R. Churchill, G. H. Beach and James Williams)

13 - Stony Point (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - James Oliver, B. F. Green and Jno. C. Grinter)

14 - White Church  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - David Taylor, S. F. Bigham and W. J. Reams)

15 - Whitmore (Rosedale Schools)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - W. H. H. Trickey, G. F. Espenlaub and Andrew Proebstell)

16 - Junction  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - J. B. Steel, J. W. Kingscott and D. B. Marney)

17 - Vernon (Colored School of Quindaro, built in late 1850s) (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Edward Banks, David Dale and Levi Seals)

18 - Nearman (operated as one-room school from 1873-1954; annexed to Dist #10 on April 9, 1959)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Morris Sherman, A. S. Conly and Patrick Foley)

19 - Carlisle  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Geo. Fry, Watson Dorman and Henry Boeke)

20 - Edwardsville (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Wm. Kouns, Robt. Duncan and J. M. Michael)

21 - Hester  (later to be called Morris School )   (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - John Sheutz, H. H. Lissenboe and Owen McSweeney)

22 - Piper  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - W. S. Robinson, S. S. Keiffer and Henry Donahoo)

23 - Pomeroy  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Wm. Palmer, J. R. Kennemur and F. H. Betton)

24 - Island Creek (aka Little Rock School)  (organized 1900 as one-room school; disorganized 1962 due to only 10 pupil attendance)  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Marx Marxen, W. H. Masterson and W. E. Barker)

25 - Pleasant Ridge   (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Wm. Edwards, Walter Felch and J. T. Liggett)

26 - Loring (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - M. B. Lyon, A. W. Gordon and W. H. Dowling)

27 - Tiblow   (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Fredrick Mercier, J. S. McDanield and John McDanield)  (Listed as District #27 in Wm. G. Cutler's 1883 History of the State of Kansas.)

28 - Walker  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - J. W. Whitlock, J. W. McDanield, and J. W. McCracken)

29 - Coffey  (district used jointly with Leavnworth County, later known as Brauer)   (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Edward W. Manager, Henry V. Voig and Conrad Wenzler)  (This school was located near Menager Junction - is the Wyandotte County Christian Church in 2005)

30 - Mission (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - H. H. Brown, John G. Pratt and Jno. O. Cooper)

31 - Sinai   (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Geo. Clarke, Gabriel Smith and David Dixon)

32 - Oak Grove (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - J. K. Hudson, G. Kellerman and J. T. Williamson)

33 - Ely (Later Melville)

34 - Hazel Grove  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - F. C. Elkins, J. M. Mahony and W. R. Malott)

35 - Twiss (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - John Coon, R. P. Twist and Mrs. Alice Coon)

36 - Horanif  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - John W. Evans, James Ursery and John Blankenship)

37 - Timmons (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - R. D. McCamish, J. F. Timmons and G. W. Galloway)

38 - Center Point (organized by 1873 as one-room school; consolidated in 1950 with Dist #24), approximately 107th (Hutton Road) and Hollingsworth Road in 2005.  (Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Fredrick Klingler, Herman Swartz and R. P. Clark)

39 - Malvern Hill, Maccochaque

40 - Argentine

41 - New Stanley (Stanley District became part of Argentine, May 7, 1896)

42 - Chelsea

43 - Muncie

44 - Park

45 - Maywood (built prior to 1916 - located at 10840 Parallel Pkwy)

46 - Fairfax (part of KCKs system 1911-1929; Fairfax withdrew 1929; Fairfax re-attached to KCKs school system in 1949/50)

47 - North Turner - organized December 21, 1951 (attached to Dist #8 on Jul 8, 1955 - no school building)

[NOTE:  You may find different publications, at various times through the years, with different numbers assigned to school districts.  The information may or may not be correct.  Only thorough research of the school district you are interested in will provide the most reliable information.]

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage