[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Kansas Education Progress 1858-1967, Adel F. Throckmorton, June 1967
Prepared for W. C. Kamphchroeder, State Superintendent of Instruction
Published by the State Department of Public Instruction, Topeka, Kansas, June 1967
p. 76

"The use of guidance and pupil personnel services in Kansas schools is a recent development.  In the 1946-47 school year only 21 of the state's secondary schools had at least one person assigned as much as one hour a day for such work and only 222 non-administrative personnel were assigned to such guidance duties as recently as 1957-58.  The first leadership supplied by the State Department of Instruction in this field was provided in 1956 with the employment of one guidance counselor.  The first standards for certifying counselors were filed with the Revisor of Statutes by the state superintendent in 1957.

It cannot be said that guidance services expanded in Kansas as a result of popular demand, as is illustrated by an unfortunate incident that occurred in 1959.  Because of resistance to certification standards for counselors, a legislator was persuaded, in the closing hours of the 1959 legislative session to introduce a resolution revoking adopted standards for such certification.  This misunderstanding was not cleared up until the 1961 legislative session at which time the 1959 action was nullified.

Counseling and guidance activities have expanded rapidly since the National Defense Education Act became operative in 1959.  In that year there were only 85 full-time counselors in the state, who qualified under standards incorporated in the state plan and agreement with the US Office of Education.  When federal funds became available under provisions of the federal act, the guidance staff was enlarged to include three counselors, in addition to the director, who had been appointed in 1956.  Since 1959, the number of full-time counselors employed in public schools has increased to 161, and the number of part-time qualified counselors has shown a comparable growth."

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage