Parents As Teachers (PAT)
An early-learning program for parents with children birth to age 3
Your baby was born to learn.
What is the Parents As Teachers Program?
The Parents As Teachers Program is a FREE year-round program which offers parents:
- research-based information on how children grow and develop;
- types of activities and toys that will foster learning and nurture development;
- methods of positive discipline; new techniques for problem solving; realistic expectations of child behavior; and
- attitudes that will raise children's self esteem.
What services will be provided?
Personal Visits: Certified parent educators, trained in child development and home visiting, go to each family's home on a regular basis. Visit times are flexible so that all families can participate.
Parent & Child Activity Centers: Each center contains books, learning activities and toys for children as well as literature on parenting and child development. Playgroups are held for parents and children on a weekly basis.
Developmental Screenings: The developmental screenings serve two purposes – to reassure parents when the child is developing on target, and to identify problems early to assist parents with appropriate interventions.
Group Meetings: Group meetings for parents allow parents to share ideas, express concerns and obtain additional parenting information.
Newsletter: Parents receive a quarterly newsletter informing them of upcoming PAT events and community events.
What have researchers learned?
- research suggests that from birth to 3 years and especially the first 6 months of life, the brain goes through the most critical stage of development;
- by age 3, a child will absorb and recognize about 1,000 words, which is two-thirds of the adult everyday speaking vocabulary; and
- by the age of 4, a child's brain will have grown to nearly three-fourths of its adult size.
When is the best time to enroll?
The time is now! Any family within the Kansas City, Kansas, Public School District boundaries is eligible to participate if their child is between the age of birth and 36 months. Enroll now!!
KCKPS Central Office & Training Center
2010 N. 59th Street
Kansas City, KS 66104
(913) 627-4361 or (913) 627-4375