Reasons to Believe Alumni Recognition
Reasons to Believe was established in 2002 to generate pride and celebrate the progress being made throughout the district. As part of the program, nominations are sought for the Reasons to Believe Alumni Honor Roll, which spotlights successful alumni to encourage and inspire today's students. The nominations are reviewed by a panel of judges that includes members of the Board of Education, Reasons to Believe Steering Committee, students, business leaders, and a former Alumni Honor Roll recipient.
The Alumni Honor Roll annually showcases the high caliber of graduates that the district produces and brings a select group of them together with staff, students, community members, colleagues and key leaders for a night of honors.
Their achievements and life-stories will be used to inspire today's students as they plan for their futures.
Members of the 2016 Reasons to Believe Alumni Honor Roll are:
- Steve Bender, realtor/entrepreneur/philanthropist, Washington High School Class of 1979
- David J. Berry, machinist/coach/community volunteer, Sumner High School Class of 1968
- Shirley Christian, journalist/author, Rosedale Junior/Senior High School Class of 1956
- Cecil D. Christwell, educator/athletic director, F.L. Schlagle High School Class of 1994
- Bernice E. Collins, wardrobe assistant for Cirque du Soleil (former Ringling Brothers clown), Washington High School Class of 1975
- Timothy L. Dupree, district court judge, Wyandotte High School Class of 1994
- Tyrone A. Garner, deputy chief of police for KCK, Wyandotte High School Class of 1987
- Marcus D. Gladdis, program manager for Cerner Corporation, Sumner Academy of Arts and Science Class of 2005
- Nancy Hale, assistant principal/coach, Wyandotte High School Class of 1978
- Dr. Adolphus Clarence Lacey, clergyman/educator, Wyandotte High School Class of 1988
- Dr. Jeanette Pitts, dermatologist, Washington High School Class of 1980
- Ana M. Valdez, admissions director at Donnelly College, J.C. Harmon High School Class of 1983