Standards for Admission to Sumner Academy
Screen I — Academic Criteria
- Grade point average in core areas of English, Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies of at least 3.0 with no grade of "F" during grade 6 and the first semester of 7.
- Seventh grade students must receive one of the following MAP score combinations:
- Score at/above the 75th percentile on the MAP math test and score at/above the 50th percentile on the MAP reading test
- Score at/above the 75th percentile on the MAP reading test and score at/above the 50th percentile on the MAP math test
- Students will have two opportunities to meet the score requirements above:
- During the Fall MAP assessment window
- During the Winter MAP assessment window
(Students meeting these academic requirements will proceed to Screen)
(Students meeting these academic requirements will proceed to Screen 2)
Screen 2 — Attendance and Behavior Criteria
Records of students will be reviewed to determine their attendance and behavior in grade 6 and the first semester of grade 7. Requirements are:
- Eligible students based on attendance shall be those who have five or fewer unexcused absences per semester contained in grade 6 and the first semester of grade 7; and
- Eligible students based on behavior shall be those who have no more than one suspension per semester semester contained in grades 6 and the first semester of grade 7.
Students may also be admitted to Sumner Academy in grades 9 and 10 if they meet academic and behavior standards and if space is available.
Seventh grade students meeting the standards outlined above will automatically receive letters during the month of March 2013 inviting them to enroll.
Eighth and Ninth grade students meeting the standards who wish to enroll at Sumner for the 9th or 10th grade must apply by contacting the Office of Student Services, and Library Services for an application. Applications will be available November 19, 2012. The application must be completed and returned by February 15, 2013. Applications will not be accepted after this date. A committee will review all requests.
Questions that relate to eligibility to attend Sumner Academy should be directed to your child's school counselor or call the office of Ms. Lisa Garcia, Director of Student Services, at 913-279-2248
Print Version .pdf
back to top