The importance of educational history is usually identified as the knowledge that helps us move into the future, forearmed with the knowledge of the past.
-Michael L. Mark
To be useful, history must be made accessible.
The First School (or National School), was the first free public school in Kansas. Located in what was then Indian Territory and would later become the state of Kansas, the school opened July 1, 1844. It was the first building built solely for school purposes, freely serving both Indian and white children. Built and taught by John McIntyre Armstrong (Wyandot Indian and Lawyer), the school was located near what is today 4th Street between State Avenue and Nebraska. (“The first free school managed by the people of any neighborhood of the Territory.” Lucy Armstrong)
Information from Loren L. Taylor, past president of the Wyandotte County Historical Society and Museum:
“It is interesting to note that under the old crest and flag of Kansas City, Kansas there were five stars. They represented the original five communities that formed the new city. They were: Wyandott, Kansas City, Armourdale, Armstrong and Riverview. It was the public schools within these five communities that formed the original nine schools of Kansas City, Kansas at the time of the 1886 Act of Consolidation: Armstrong, Barnett, Central, Chance, Everett, Lincoln, McAlpine, Riverview, Wood.”
More information to come