The board received an update on the tremendous progress associated with the opening of the Welcome Center on April 9 and the first class of Saturday Family Language Academy. The Welcome Center is a one-stop shop for families new to the school district to enroll their children in our schools. The Saturday Family Language Academy are classes for the entire family to learn English in a relaxed environment. The next Academy will be held in the fall 2018.
Several athletes and coaches were honored in the areas of basketball, wrestling, and bowling at the high school level. Congratulations to all of our athletes on another wonderful season.
Kansas City, Kansas Baptist Ministers Union members, an association of ministers leading about 36 congregations in Wyandotte County, spoke to the board about the importance of the selection of a superintendent.??They asked for community representation, including the Baptist Ministers Union, in the process to narrow the pool of applicants for the interview process and the finalist selection. There was also an expression of concern about the timeline to have a superintendent in place by July 1, 2018.
The board heard about actions of the state legislature regarding school finance.
- Substitute for Senate Bill 423 was approved by the Legislature last weekend.
- An error was discovered in the Substitute for Senate Bill 423 that would reduce general state aid by about $80 million. Legislators will attempt to correct the mistake during the wrap-up session, which begins on April 26.
- April 30, 2018: The deadline set by the Kansas Supreme Court for the state to pass legislation to meet the adequacy requirements of the Constitution, and for both sides in the school funding case to prepare their briefs (arguments) for the court.
- May 22, 2018: The Kansas Supreme Court will hold a hearing to determine whether the Substitute for the Senate Bill will satisfy the constitutional requirement for adequacy.
Remember you can see the meeting in its entirety by:
- Viewing the board meetings at www.youTube.com/KCKPSTV.
- Watching the rebroadcast of board meetings on Spectrum Channel 18 and Google Fiber Channel – 145 Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 7 p.m. and Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 a.m.
- Viewing Archived Board Meeting Highlights on the website.