The board approved an agreement with Williams, Spurgeon, Kuhl & Freshnock Architects, Inc. to design the new centralized kitchen, which will be used to cook and distribute food district wide, as well as serve as a learning environment for students in the culinary arts program. In a matter related to the building of the centralized kitchen, the board asked staff to rebid the construction manager for the central kitchen. As a reminder, the central kitchen is being relocated because that property will be used for the new Northwest Middle School, which when started is scheduled for completion for the 2021-22 school year.
The board heard the results of a report commissioned by the state legislature regarding school finance. Two major findings of the report state:
- Kansas schools spend their dollars more efficiently for education than any other state
- Up to $2 billion more in funding for education is needed in order to reach the state board outcomes, including graduation rates and test scores on state assessments
Two dates that are of significance to school finance:
- The end of the regular session for the Legislature is Friday, April 6, 2018.
- The Kansas Supreme Court has set a Monday, April 30, 2018 deadline for the State to pass legislation to meet the adequacy requirements of the Constitution, and for both sides in the school funding case to prepare their briefs (arguments) for the court.
Remember you can see the meeting in its entirety by:
- Viewing the board meetings at www.youTube.com/KCKPSTV.
- Watching the rebroadcast of board meetings on Spectrum Channel 18 and Google Fiber Channel 145 Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 7 p.m.and Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursday sat 9 a.m.
- Viewing Archived Board Meeting Highlights on the website.