Community Comment Policy Amended
A temporary amendment to Board Policy BCBI Public Participation at Board Meetings was approved. Until Board meetings are no longer limited to 10 or less participants, public comments will be submitted to and read by the Board Clerk.
- Continuous Learning Plan – Lisa Walker, Director of Federal Programs and Grants, and Matthew Andersen, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, updated the Board on the first week of online learning. The CLP Summary Waiver was approved by the Kansas State Board of Education.
- Meal Distribution – Josh Mathiasmeier, Director of Nutritional Services, gave a report on the average number of meals served daily. The community is being surveyed on their preference for meal distribution moving forward – daily meals or multiple meals two days per week.
- Device Distribution – Alan King, Interim Assistant Superintendent, and Joe Fives, Director of Technical Information Services, updated the Board on the number of electronic devices distributed and technical support being offered to parents and students.
- Bond Work – Dennis Covington, Chief Financial Officer, updated the Board on the progress of Carl B. Bruce Middle School, Lowell Brune and West Park elementary schools and the new maintenance facility.
Reports of the Superintendent
Mischel Miller, Director of Teacher Licensure and Accreditation for the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE), joined the meeting to report to the Board on the Kansas Education System Accreditation (KESA). KCKPS is in year three of the process.
Information was presented to the Board regarding the need for a comprehensive assessment and data reporting system. Dr. David Rand, Director of Educational Research and Assessment, recommended a proposed 3-year partnership with Illuminate Education for purchase of Illuminate DnA Test Administration and Data Representation Platform and FastBridge Universal Screening and Progress Monitoring. The Board will consider the recommendation during the budgeting process.
Priorities/parameters for the 2020-2021 budget were discussed and a timeline for budget preparation was presented by Dennis Covington, Chief Financial Officer.
KCK Public Libraries
The Board voted to extend the closure of the public libraries in accordance with the Wyandotte County Health Officer recommendations.
The Board approved:
- Human Resources Report and Recommendations.
- Payment of bills for K-12 and the Libraries.
- Calendars for early childhood.
- Low Bid for Replacement of Electrical Service Main at Eisenhower Middle School.
- Low Bid for Replacement of Dust Collection System at Wyandotte High School.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held by Zoom on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.