- Budget Update – Dennis Covington, Chief Financial Officer, updated the Board on theCoronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act which was enacted on March 27, 2020, and included Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Funds for K-12 schools. These ESSER grants will provide school districts with emergency relief funds to address the impact COVID-19 has had on elementary and secondary schools.
- Graduation 2020 – Sharita Hutton, Director of Communications, reported on Graduation 2020. The Board approved moving forward with the proposed plan for our
high schools to hold graduation ceremonies at the Boulevard Drive-in Theatre in June. The district will continue working with the Mayor and the Health Department as plans for the graduations are finalized.
Reports of the Superintendent
The Board approved taking part in three training sessions on equity principles with Dr. Jason Thompson, Executive Director of Equity and Inclusion, that will help guide school board decisions. The first session will be on Saturday, May 16 at 10 a.m.
Dr. LaShonda Bilbo-Ervin, Director of Diploma+, reported on the Diploma+ program and asked the Board to accept the Real World Learning Grant in the amount of $75,000.
The Board approved a plan to change the Curbside Meal Service to three days per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) as presented by Josh Mathiasmeier, RD, Director of Nutritional Services.
KCK Public Libraries
The Board accepted the Turner Library Budget Report.
The Board approved:
- Human Resources Report and Recommendations.
- payment of bills for K-12 and the Libraries.
- renewal of an MOU with SEKESC (Greenbush) to provide virtual school services to students.
- Monthly Financial Report.
- acceptance of low bid from EduKit in the amount of $749,208.68 for School Supply Kits for students and teachers for 2020/2021 school year.
- renewal of contracts with outside agencies for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Local Education Assurances (LEA) related to Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) Part B Funds and opt-in to coordinate with the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Center.
The Board voted to hold a special meeting on Friday, May 8 at 1 p.m. to review the following policies:
- GAAA Equal Employment Opportunity and Nondiscrimination
- GAAB Complaints of Discrimination
- GACC Recruitment and Hiring
- GACCA Nepotism
- GAHB Political Activities
The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held by Zoom on Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Posted May 5, 2020