Recognition and Awards
Christal Watson, Director of the KCK Schools Foundation for Excellence, announced the 2019-2020 Reasons to Believe Recipients.
KCK Public Libraries
Carol Levers, Director of Libraries, updated the Board on the public libraries including a report on adult winter reading program.
Reports of the Superintendent
- Approved professional services agreement with RSP & Associates for demographer services to assist in the reassignment of students to alleviate overcrowding at New Chelsea Elementary School, the opening of the new West Park Elementary School for the 2020-2021 school year, and the district-wide realignment for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Accepted report on the revised state audit.
The board sets aside up to twenty minutes at each meeting for community comments. Topics addressed included:
- High school graduation dates.
- The decision to adjust bell schedules making Wednesdays a full day. The purpose for the change was to help make up state required instruction time missed during the winter months.
- Student testing.
- Security in schools.
- Northwest Middle School leadership.
Tabulation of Bids
The board accepted low bids from:
- MTS Contracting, Inc. in the amount of $111,000 for concrete repairs.
- Terminix in the amount of $6,430 per month/$77,160 for FY 2020/2021 for pest control.
The board approved request for overnight travel for students from New Chelsea Elementary School to attend the 46th Annual National Society of Black Engineers Robotics 2020 Conference and Competition in San Antonio, Texas on March 25-29, 2020.
Board Policy Review
The Board voted to remove policy review from the agenda.
The board added to the agenda the following items for discussion and possible action:
- Two dates for Community Conversations were set – Saturday, March 28 and Saturday, April 18.
- Board members were updated on measures being taken by the district to keep staff and students safe from the COVID-19 virus. Administration was asked to review policies regarding paying staff if schools are closed.
- Changes in bell schedules for schools was discussed. The Board voted to add 15 minutes per day (8 minutes a.m./7 minutes p.m.) and to leave Wednesdays as early dismissal days.
- Graduation dates/times were discussed. The Board voted to move all high school graduations to evenings.
Posted March 17, 2020