Update on Continuing Work with State and Local Officials
Dr. Foust, shared with the Board H.R. 6201, Families First Coronavirus Response Act. He updated the Board on the following:
- Governor closed all schools in Kansas for the rest of the 2019-20 school year.
- Until April 6, 2020, the district is operating with essential personnel only. Many are working from home.
- Staff is working on curriculum for students to do at home. Working with Sprint and Spectrum for WiFi access for all students.
- Meeting with health officials and KSDE daily.
Board Policy GARH Attendance, Absences, Leaves, Vacations
Keli Tuschman, Chief of HR, asked Board to relax leave policy so that employees will not have to use their leave for self quarantine, illness or being a care giver due to the Coronavirus. She also assured the Board that staff will be paid during the shut down. Information for staff is posted on the website and being sent out through all social media. The Board approved the motion to authorized Superintendent or designee to adjust employee leave during the COVID-19 shutdown so that no employee is penalized.
K-8 Device Take Home Program
The Board approved moving forward with planning for K-8 device take home program.
KCK Public Libraries
The Board approved a plan to close the KCK public libraries until April 6 and then re-evaluate with local and state guidance.
The Board discussed:
- Communication is so important. What are the best ways to reach all of our families regarding feeding program which will be starting on Monday at 4 sites and K-8 device take home program?
- Call-in center to answer questions from staff, parents, care givers and community members.
- Special Education services.
Next Board Meeting
The Board canceled the regular meeting on Tuesday, March 24. A special meeting has been called for Tuesday, March 31 at 5 p.m. The meeting will be held adhering to the directive from the Wyandotte County Health Department to limit public gatherings to no more than 10 persons. Information will be published as to how the public may view the meeting.
Posted March 19, 2020