Comments from the community regarding the following topics were received:
- Topic: Argentine Middle School
- Topic: District Communications
- Topic: Graduation 2020 Plans
- Graduation 2020 – Sharita Hutton, Director of Communications, updated the Board on the status of plans for graduation ceremonies. A letter was shared from K. Allen Greiner, MD, Unified Government Public Health Department, congratulating the district on devising a relatively safe method to host graduation ceremonies during these challenging times. The Board asked the Communications Department to survey seniors regarding the planned ceremonies.
- Board Self-Evaluation and Climate Survey – Dr. Brian Jordan presented information to the Board on services that are provided by KASB to assist the Board in doing a self-evaluation and a community climate survey. The Board voted to proceed with the evaluation and climate survey as presented by KASB.
- CARES Act Funding – Dennis Covington, Chief Financial Officer, updated the Board on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding which was received for K-12 schools in Wyandotte County. The CARES Act was enacted on March 27, 2020, and includes elementary and secondary school emergency relief funds. These funds are to be used to provide emergency services to students as result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Reports of the Superintendent
The Board approved a proposal for purchase of curriculum resources for 2020-2021 school year as presented by Matthew Andersen, Director of Curriculum.
Information was presented to the Board regarding the KCKPS Continuous Learning Plan Stakeholder Survey. Dr. David Rand, Director of Educational Research and Assessment, reported on initial feedback from students, families and staff.
The Board accepted for first read, proposed changes to the Student Code of Conduct as presented by Lisa Garcia-Stewart, Director of Student Services.
The 2020 Online Summer School Plan as reported by Dr. Kelli Charles, Executive Director, Dr. Troy Pitch, IIO, Kristen Scott, Director of ESL and interim IIO, and Dr. Kim Shaw, IIO will begin on June 1 and run through June 25. There will be programs serving early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school, ESL/Migrant and special education students.
KCK Public Libraries
The Board accepted a report on the public libraries’ on-line services and asked Carol Levers, Director of Libraries, to report on the staggered re-opening of the libraries at the May 26 regular meeting.
The Board approved:
- Human Resources Report and Recommendations.
- Payment of bills for K-12 and the libraries.
- MOU with Promise 1000 Home Visiting Collaborative/United Way of Greater KC.
- Renewal of contracts with outside agencies for special education services.
- Bid for replacement of artificial playing surface of Art Lawrence Stadium at JC Harmon HS.
The Board accepted for second read proposed changes to policies GAAB Complaints of Discrimination, GAAA Equal Employment Opportunity and Nondiscrimination, GACC Recruitment and Hiring, GACCA Nepotism and GAHB Political Activities.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held by Zoom on Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Posted May 19, 2020