Dr. Anna Stubblefield, Superintendent of Schools, recognized and congratulated Pyet DeSpain for winning the quarter-million-dollar grand prize on Fox’s “Next Level Chef”. Despain is a graduate of J.C. Harmon and is one of many examples of the success stories of KCKPS alumni throughout the country.
She also took a moment to recognize the events:
- March 8th is National Women’s Day
- Theater in our schools Month
- Music in our schools Month
- National Social Work Month
Board Vice President Yolanda Clark took a moment to remember Officer Sherri Wash who passed recently. Officer Wash work for the school district for more than 20 years and was respected in the community.
Board Member Wanda Paige also sent condolences to the family of Morris Perry who was an employee of the District for many years.
The Board recessed to Executive Session to Discuss Matters of Non-Elected Personnel in Order to Protect the Privacy Interest of the Party(s) Involved under Kansas Open Meetings Act
Updates and Board Approval was requested on the following topics:
Social Learning Update and Approval of International Social Emotional Learning Day
The Board of Education approved a resolution to recognize and promote International SEL Day in KCKPS. Tracie Chauvin, coordinator of SEL, provided an update on the social emotional learning framework and how it ties into the Strategic Plan and the Multi-Tiered systems of support. The District will celebrate the SEL on Friday, March 11, 2022.
COVID Masking Policy
Tiffany Lewis, Director of Human Services, provided an update on the CDC’s COVID Masking Policy. Currently, all employees and students are required to wear a mask while indoors on school district property. Even if an employee has been vaccinated or gets vaccinated will still be required to wear a mask.
Based on the current HIGH community level in Wyandotte County, the District will continue with the recommendation from the CDC and the Unified Government Public Health Department to wear masks while on District property.
We will continue to work closely with the Unified Government Public Health Department (UGPHD) to address concerns related to COVID-19. Updates and revisions will be implemented as new information and recommendations are provided by the CDC, UGPHD, and KDHE.
The following topics were discussed under new business:
- Purchase of Book Vending Machines for Elementary & Middle Schools
- Solicitation For Bids Internet Access Service – E-RATE
- The Purchasing Department announced the opening up for Bids for the purchase of the following services:
- Internet Access Service,
- Wide Area Network (WAN) Fiber Optic Services,
- Asbestos Abatement at Bethel Elementary,
- Summer Painting Projects,
- Copier Fleet Lease,
- Window replacement at Whitter Elementary and North Central Office Early Child Center
- Purchase of OzRobotic Artificial Intelligence UVC and Spray Disinfection Robot for USD500 and Bishop Ward
Mural Painting at F.L. Schlagle HS
The Board was provided information related to the purchase of artist services for the painting of murals at FL Schlagle High School.
Jacqueline Rodriguez provided the board with a report on the ESOL and Migrant Programs Department.
Posted March 11, 2022