Pathways to Teaching

Beginning Teacher Induction Program

The Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) requires all new teachers to the profession participate in a two-year mentoring program. Upon successful completion of this two-year program, the teacher will be eligible to move to a Professional Level license in the state of Kansas.

All first and second year teachers to the profession will participate in the KCKPS Beginning Teachers Induction Program (BTIP).?? This program provides support to these teachers by providing the following;

  • A building level mentor for two years
  • Weekly professional development at the building level
  • Monthly professional development at the district level
  • Support from building administration and Instructional Coaches
  • Support for obtaining a Professional Teaching License

Program requirements include the completion of a Performance assessment each semester, completion of mentor/mentee logs, and attendance at all meetings.

For further information, contact the Professional Workforce Development Office at (913) 279-2259.

Student Teaching in KCKPS

KCKPS and the Professional Workforce Development team partner with a number of colleges and universities to support students completing their practicum, internship, and/or student teaching experiences. We welcome the opportunity to host these individuals in our schools and classrooms as they continue their career development in education.

To request an opportunity for placement in one of our schools to complete a practicum, internship, or student teaching, please contact the PWD office at (913) 279-2259.

KCK Teaching Fellows Program

Ready for a more rewarding career?

If you have a bachelor’s degree in science, technology, engineering, math, business or English/language arts, you can develop the skills needed to make the difference in the lives of students.

The Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools has a Teaching Fellows Program which will allow you to teach in a classroom full-time while earning your teaching certification or master’s degree in education.

Click here to learn more.