Enrollment Information

ReOpening of Schools Plan

Re-Opening of Schools – Enrollment Questions

How do I enroll online?

Starting on Monday, July 27th, the district will begin the online enrollment period for all new students to the district. Even though enrollment is not in person, the process will require the same documents in order for properly enrolling your student.

Once again only students new to the district will need to enroll. Before you start you will want to gather the following documents:

  • Proof of address
    • Approved documents include: Driver’s license, utility bill, mail from the government such as Medicaid, SSI, insurance, etc.
    • For those who reside in another household:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Medical Records
  • Transcript

To get started:

Go to the district website  www.kckps.org and click on the Infinite Campus Registration tab. Registration can be done on a computer or with the use of a cell phone.

  • Click on “Start New Registration” to complete the registration.
  • Registration is required to enroll for the 2020-2021 school year.
Will Preschool Re-Enrollment continue?

Yes, any enrollment appointments already scheduled will be done virtually beginning Monday, March 30th. 
Appointments will be done over the phone or by a virtual platform such as Skype or FaceTime. An Early Childhood staff person will be in contact with you about your upcoming appointment sometime this week.  If you need to
schedule an appointment for the 2020-2021 school year, you can call 913-627-5257 to schedule a virtual appointment.

I am a family enrolled in Head Start. When can I expect to hear from my Family Service Worker?

Yes, a Family Service Worker or other Early Childhood staff person will be in contact with you if you still need to
re-enroll for the 2020-2021 school year. Re-enrollment will be done over the phone or by a virtual platform such as Skype or FaceTime.

What if I do not have a computer or internet?

If you do not have access to a computer, enrollment can be completed on your cell phone. If you need further assistance you can call 913-627-2455 or 913-279-2248.

Will my child be able to meet their teacher before the first day of school?

Currently with restrictions in place for large gatherings we are unable to give out dates for students to meet their teachers. Good news, over the next weeks teachers will be taking your child on a virtual tour of their new school and classroom. Look for more information to come soon.

How do I contact the district for registration/enrollment help?

For registration assistance please call Student Services at 913-551-3200. 

For assistance in various languages call 913-627-2455.

Click Here to start the enrollment process.

Current Student?

When is Re-Enrollment conducted? Every year the district will conduct a Spring Re-enrollment registration for students currently enrolled. For more information, visit www.register.kckps.org.

What Is Needed For Enrollment?

What is required to enroll a new student in Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools? Whenever a child is enrolling in Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools for the first time the parent/guardian is required to provide the following:

  • Proof of Address (bring one item): A utility bill (gas, water, electric, or phone), Rental Agreement or Mortgage Agreement or Driver’s license with current address or mail that includes name and current address. (Please Note: Mail addressed to “Resident” or “Current Resident” is not considered a valid proof of address.)
  • Proof of Identity: Certified copy of state issued birth certificate. (Please Note: Wallet size birth certificates and hospital certificates are not accepted.)
  • Record of Immunizations: A Kansas Certificate of Immunization for each child. All students in the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools are required to have up-to-date immunization records before starting school.
  • Physical Exam/Health Assessment: Children 9 years of age or younger that are new to the district will be required to have a physical examination no more than 12 months old on file before starting school. Those coming from another school in Kansas must present a copy of the physical health assessment when enrolling in Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools.
  • Certified transcripts of school records

Who is eligible to enroll in school in the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools district?

  • Children must be five years of age on or before August 31 to enter kindergarten. A child enrolling in first grade who did not attend kindergarten must be six years of age on or before August 31.
  • Only students residing in the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools district boundaries and within each local school’s attendance zone are eligible for enrollment.
    • The address of all students is defined as the legal address of the parent or legal guardian.
  • Students who move from the school district during the school year and not in the district attendance boundaries are considered a non-resident. The parent/guardian must apply for permission to finish the school year by filling out a Request to Enroll from Student Services at Central Office.
  • Non-residents may be admitted based on available resources and district criteria (academics, attendance and discipline) on a tuition fee basis.
  • Regardless of address, no student who has been suspended or expelled from another school district will be admitted until the period of such suspension or expulsion has expired.
  • Foreign Exchange students from an approved organization who meet the criteria shall be admitted on a tuition-free basis.

Exceptions to Residence Requirements:

  • All permits are reviewed by the Director of Student Services
  • All new permits are available for application April 18 through August 16.
  • All permits must renewed each year in the Department of Student Services. The student and family must remain in good standing with attendance, grades and behavior.
  • All exceptions to residence requirements must be approved by the Director of Student Services prior to enrollment or starting school.
  • Childcare Permits (K-8)’ permission to attend the school located is in the attendance area in which childcare services are located approved by the Director of Student Services.
  • All permit requests will be closed after August 16.

What student/parent contact information is needed?

  • Information pertinent to each student must be accurate in case of emergency and for communication purposes.
  • Contact names are required to be listed and current for release or pickup (only enrolling parent/guardian authorizes contact list)
  • Parent/guardians are required to provide this information at the beginning of each school year and any time thereafter if the information changes.
  • Each student is also assigned a family advocate; a staff member who can act as a liaison between home and school. This person can be of assistance in many situations.