Screen 1 — Academic Criteria
- Grade point average of at least 3.0 with no grade of “F” during grade six and the first semester of grade 7 in the following core areas: English, Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies
- Seventh grade students must receive one of the following MAP score combinations:
- Score at/above the 75th percentile on the MAP Math test and score at/above the 50th percentile on the MAP Reading test.
- Score at/above the 75th percentile on the MAP Reading test and score at/above the 50th percentile on the MAP math test
- Students will have two opportunities to meet the score requirements above:
- During the Fall MAP assessment window
- During the Winter MAP assessment window
(Students meeting these academic requirements will proceed to Screen 2.)
Screen 2 — Attendance and Behavior Criteria
Records of students will be reviewed to determine their attendance and behavior in grade six and the first semester of grade seven. Requirements are:
- Eligible students based on attendance shall be those who have five or fewer unexcused absences per semester contained in grade six and the first semester of grade seven.
- Eligible students based on behavior shall be those who have no more than one suspension per semester contained in grades six and the first semester of grade seven.
Students may also be admitted to Sumner Academy of Arts and Science in grades 9 and 10, if they meet academic and behavior standards and if space is available.
Seventh grade students meeting the standards outlined above will automatically receive letters inviting them to enroll.
Eighth and ninth grade students meeting the standards who wish to enroll for the 9th or 10th grade must apply by contacting the Office of Student Services for an application. A committee will review all requests.
Questions that relate to eligibility to attend Sumner Academy should be directed to your child’s school counselor or call the office of Mrs. Lisa Stewart, Director of Student Services, at 913.279.2248.