KCKPS Athletic & Activity Mitigation and Spectator Guidelines
Due to high community transmission rates of COVID-19 in and the low rate of vaccinated individuals in Wyandotte County, the Kansas City Kansas Public Schools will require masking indoors of all children and adults in grades PreK-12 and in all district facilities until further notice.
Spectators who have high risk conditions or who are around family members or other close contacts with high-risk conditions should consider not attending sporting events.
Participant, Spectator and Community Safety
To mitigate risk factors associated with COVID-19 and protect the health of our students, staff and community, the following safety protocols will be in place during the fall sports season. To attend an event, students, staff and spectators will follow the guidelines listed below:
- KCKPS will follow the safety guidelines set forth in the KSHSAA 2021-22 COVID 19 Information
- KCKPS student athletes (including spirit groups and marching band) will follow the KSHSAA COVID-19 Return to Participation Guidelines. Students who test positive for COVID-19 must obtain clearance from a MD or DO, DC, PA-C or APRN.
- All those in attendance must be free of any COVID-19 Symptoms
- All spectators must wear a mask upon entry to any indoor event and must wear the mask for the duration of the activity. No mask, no admittance.
- Spectators will not be allowed near participant groups, or on fields/courts or inside fenced competition playing areas.
- At the end of each contest all must exit the facility expeditiously.
- Understand that guidelines are subject to change based upon Board of Education and local/state recommendation.
- We ask families to consider the safety of your child’s entire team by making decisions during the athletic season that limit exposure examples: large gatherings indoors, getting student athletes vaccinated, distancing and wearing a mask indoors outside your home. Positive exposures on a team will require quarantines from school, practice and games. Student athletes that are fully vaccinated and not showing symptoms may continue attending school, practices and games
Tickets/Attendance at Events
- There are no limitations for fan entry, however, USD 500 reserves the right to revoke a ticket from anyone not willing to follow these guidelines. Staff members have the authority to enforce mitigation protocols.
- Masks are required to be worn by everyone
- In locations where face coverings are required, an exception is granted to athletes during the time they are competing and for officials during active play. Participants and/or officials may still choose to wear a mask during active play unless it poses a safety risk.
- Physical distancing is recommended.
- Seating – fans are encouraged to maintain a minimum 3’ distance.
- Indoor concession stands will be limited.
- Streaming will be provided, for a cost to the spectator, for High School events by the Pixellot Camera System.
- Essential personnel only on the field, court or course.
- Alternate post game sportsmanship will be exhibited.
- Streaming is available, for a cost to the spectator, for High School events through Pixellot Camera System.
- The following Individuals may be exempt from wearing masks while inside school buildings:
- Active participants engaged in activities and athletics inside school buildings will follow KSHSAA and/or school guidelines.
The Kansas City Kansas Public School District Athletic Programs are a significant and dynamic part of the total educational experience available to students. These programs enhance learning in the school and contribute to a positive school climate.
Participation in Athletics is strongly encouraged because of the 10 Life Lessons it teaches:
- Competitive Spirit/Strategic Thinking
- Work Ethic
- Adaptability/Problem Solving
We will continue to strive to provide resources that will enhance the achievement of each student athlete Academically, Emotionally and Physically. We are committed to establish the necessary relationships between Administrators, Athletic Personnel and Parents to successfully build the respect, trust and cooperation needed for our student athletes to have a meaningful athletic experience.